The global pandemic has hit you hard financially, and you’ve lost your job and applying for jobs online haven’t brought on any success. What should you try next? If you’re looking for a new job, or wanting to change your career path, a job fair is a great way to start!
Attending a job fair is a great way to meet with various employers in different industries. It’s your chance to ask them important questions about hiring priorities, the current job market, all while providing them with your resume for potential job opportunities.
Attending a job fair can be intimidating, so it’s best to be prepared and consider many factors that can allow you to get the most out of your job fair experience.
Some helpful tips:
- Make a list of your top employers to meet with
- A little research on the employers doesn’t hurt. Check out their websites and take notes, so you’re comfortable talking with them
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and bring extra copies
- This is essentially a job interview. Dress appropriately, as you may get interviewed on the spot
Prep ahead of time to feel confident
When you arrive at the job fair, it can be a bit overwhelming. Vendors are doing their best to recruit and promote their business, while job seekers are competing for the shot at landing what may be their next dream job or career.
So how do you stand out?
Here are some ideas:
- Try practicing your presentation or your pitch to an employer that didn’t make your list. A warm-up to work out all of the kinks in your presentation can be beneficial.
- While it’s best to focus on the employers that made your list, being open to other opportunities is important. You never know what may come up from an impromptu meeting
- Asking informative questions, shows that you’ve come prepared
- Don’t be afraid to highlight your accomplishments when handing over your resume. It’s your time to shine.
- Take notes during your meeting with the employer. Not only will you likely need them after to follow up, it shows you have a keen interest
- Ask for business cards
- Keep an eye out for other job seekers who are doing well. You may be able to pick up some helpful tips
What to do after a job fair?
Now that you’ve aced the job fair experience, there are some important next steps. Make sure to follow up with each employer that you met! It’s vital to send a thank-you email to each employer, as it keeps you fresh in their minds as they begin the hiring process.
Here are a few tips when it comes to sending a thank-you email:
- Don’t procrastinate! Send your thank-you email within 24-hours
- Always mention what you talked to them about when you met at the job fair
- They may get hundreds of resumes, including yours. It doesn’t hurt to attach another copy of your resume
- Always inform them that you have applied or intend to apply for your desired position
Job fairs can be daunting, and there’s a certain amount of pressure to succeed when you attend. Embrace this opportunity. These events are unique experiences where you can dig deep into many different industries and companies.